Monday, November 1, 2010

Wall Hanging Tutorial




This is a wall hanging that I made for my granddaughter. This is my first tutorial, so I apologize if the instructions aren't too clear. Please e-mail me if you have any questions! Below are some of the steps in making it. I used Spellbinders nestabilities to cut the shapes, then used foam mounting tape to pop them up, and put a satin ribbon between the front and back pieces, then added a big bow at the top.



The first step is to make three sizes of Nestabilities for each letter of the name. In mine, I alternated rectangles and ovals for each letter. I also made a plain white shape of the largest size for the backing, which you will see in a later photo.
Then I die cut the letter from a Sizzlits die and attached it.



Each layer was then centered and layered on with pop dots.



This shows all three layers.



Then I made the bow that would attach to the top.



Using a wide satin ribbon for the letters to hang from, I folded back the top about 1 1/2 inches and used double-sided tape to hold it together.




With the double-sided tape as reinforcement, I cut a small slit in the satin ribbon with a craft knife.





I looped a small piece of ribbon through the back side of the knot on the bow, then pulled it through the slit on the wide satin ribbon. I knotted the ends and this became the loop by which the wall hanging could hang from your wall.





I used glue dots to attach each set of letters to the front of the ribbon, with the first letter right under the bow.



I spaced the letters evenly down the ribbon.



After the last letter, I folded up the raw end of the ribbon under the back and secured in place.



Using the white pieces that I made for backing, I added adhesive and matched up to the back of each letter and secured in place.



This is what the finished wall hanging looks like! I made one for each granddaughter. Thanks for looking!










No comments: